About the Al Qasimi Foundation
The Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi Foundation for Policy Research was established in 2009 to aid in the social, cultural, and economic development of Ras Al Khaimah, a northern emirate in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The Foundation’s mission is to generate a world-class body of research on Ras Al Khaimah and the broader UAE region, develop local capacity, and engage the community in its work. The Al Qasimi Foundation serves as a bridge between the research and policy making communities—bringing to scholars’ attention public policy questions important to Ras Al Khaimah, and, in turn, disseminating research findings to promote innovative policy tools and models that will impact positive social change.
The Al Qasimi Foundation approaches its work collaboratively, and aims to establish relationships with talented scholars and world-class universities, innovative public policy research centers, established government institutions, and strategic partners in the private and non-governmental sectors. Although education was the initial focus for Al Qasimi Foundation initiatives, the Foundation is branching into other public policy areas as it matures (including urban planning and development, public health, economics, and the environment).
Purpose of the Role
As a result of the rapid growth of the Al Qasimi Foundation they are now seeking a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to support and assist the Executive Director (ED) in leading the Foundation to become best in field. Reporting to the Executive Director the COO is responsible for leading and developing the Foundation’s administration and operational functions. In addition, they will work closely with the ED to develop and implement the organization’s new five-year strategic plan. The COO must have outstanding management and administrative skills with a proven track record either in the non or for-profit sectors.
Context and Environment
The COO reports to the Executive Director and is part of the senior management team. This position has two direct reports, the Accounts Manager and the Human Resources Officer as well as a total of approximately 15 indirect reports. The position also works closely with all Directors to ensure progress towards annual and strategic goals.
To support the overall mission of the Foundation and Capacity Development objectives:
- Oversee the general administrative and operational functions of the Foundation.
- Assist the Executive Director in the development and implementation of the new five year strategic plan (2019~2024).
- Coordinate annual operations plan and budget.
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress in order to achieve annual and strategic organizational goals.
- Supervise and provide direction to senior administrative staff.
- Provide support and guidance to all Directors with regards to helping them plan and implement their strategic goals.
- Oversee the maintenance and upgrading, as needed, of all Foundation physical and technical infrastructure.
- Embody the Foundation’s mission and customer service strategy when engaging with stakeholders and partner organizations.
- Administration Management (30%)
- Human Resources Management (30%)
- Strategic Planning and Oversight (30%)
- Relationship Management (10%)
- Assist the Executive Director in overseeing the development and implementation of a new Strategic Plan (2019~2024).
- Support and advise the Executive Director in the development and implementation of annual organizational goals in alignment with the Foundation’s strategic plan, including providing monthly updates and bi-annual written reports.
- Ensure the maintenance of, development and adherence to appropriate internal financial and HR systems and policies.
- Support and guide department directors in reaching annual goals and making progress towards strategic targets, through regular meetings and discussions.
- Oversee development of the Foundation’s annual budget in coordination with the Accounts Manager and oversee each department’s preparation for end-of-year performance reports and presentations for the Executive Director and the Board.
- Create and manage annual work plans and budgets for the senior administration team.
- Identify policy and/or procedures gaps and develop appropriate guidelines and procedures for the Foundation.
- Supervise and conduct annual reviews of senior administration staff, ensuring their work meets Foundation expectations and foster their professional development.
- Build relationships with relevant stakeholders to foster collaborations and partnerships in terms of best practice in administration and operational matters.
- Conduct annual review of staffing needs and plan accordingly, develop and implement succession planning measures.
- Oversee the maintenance and upgrading, as needed of physical and technical infrastructure across all departments.
- Participate as an active member of the Foundation’s senior management team and contribute to other organizational needs as required.
- Administration team.
- Management team.
- Other Foundation staff.
- RAK government entities.
- RAK Education Zone & Ministry of Education.
- Service providers and collaborators.
Additional Important Information
- Working hours will be 40 per week. Although largely office based, this position will require frequent off-site activities and meetings in the community. There may be a requirement to attend events outside normal office hours as well.
- VISA Requirements: Successful applicants will be provided with a three-year work visa.
- Security or legal checks: Successful applicants will be required to undergo a background check from the local police station/immigration authorities.
- Excellent management and communication skills.
- Highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to assimilate a high volume of information across departments, providing leadership and support to senior staff and experts in each of those areas.
- Ability to creatively problem solve, and make and implement decisions quickly and soundly.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and exemplify leadership and composure under pressure, while maintaining high morale.
- A creative and strategic mind-set with the ability to translate strategy into tactical action plans.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people representing various backgrounds, levels of training, and career stages.
- Able to multitask, offering support to the Executive Director, as well as to department directors.
- Minimum 8 years of experience at executive level of management, preferably at a philanthropic organisation, a non-profit organization, government agency or educational organization.
- Solid educational background, Master’s degree in business administration or some form of management preferred.
- Experience working with a highly multicultural team and/or experience working abroad preferred.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, kindly send through a Microsoft Word version of your CV and a cover letter detailing why you are suited to this role. Please mark it for the attention of Sheerin Dariani, email address: email@example.com.
Please subject your email with the following reference: ALQ-COO-NEW. Please note that the interview dates for this role will be confirmed with you should your application be successful.