About Syria Relief
Syria Relief (SR)’s Head office is based in Manchester, with additional offices in London, Turkey, Iraq and Syria. Focusing mainly on operations in Syria, SR runs programmes including: healthcare, education, food distribution and food security, water and sanitation, livelihood, sustainability and protection. SR is the largest UK-based Syria-focused charity.
Syria Relief’s Vision
A future where the people of Syria live in dignity and security, with the means and opportunities to fulfil their potential and achieve their aspirations, wherever they may be in the world.
Overview of the Role
Regional Programme Director/Chief Executive Officer
The RHOPD is responsible for leading all SR’s programme development, design, monitoring, evaluation and learning, across Syria, Turkey, Iraq, and Jordan; with a specific focus on fundraising from institutional donors in the countries of operation. S/he will Lead programme development in-country, inspiring the teams and ensure there is a portfolio of high-quality programmes. Play a leading role in developing SR’s programme strategy. Increase funding from international donors, strategic partners and UN agencies. Drive technical expertise and excellence throughout the organisation, as part of a team of senior managers and by supporting a culture of learning and growth.
- Providing broad leadership across the organisation, contributing to the strategic planning and development of SR’s programme portfolio and ensuring they adapt to a dynamic operating environment.
- Is responsible for the overall strategy of their humanitarian work, and for ensuring that each programme, thematic area and country has a strategy which reflects SR’s overall vision, strategy and business model and is underpinned by effective fundraising.
Programming: preparation & implementation:
- Has overall responsibility for ensuring high-quality project design and delivery of their work, through effective support of Programme staff.
- Provides technical advice on the design and delivery of high quality programmes.
- Ensures that proposals are developed to a high standard including undertaking hands on support for proposal development where necessary.
- Holds Programme Managers to account for proficient full-cycle management of projects through the relevant in country line management structures.
Fundraising & financial management:
- Works with the Programme staff to develop and implement their fundraising strategy and growth with quality targets. The focus of this role will be institutional donors, UN and key strategic partners in the countries of operation. S/he will also ensure the programme portfolio supports the requirements of other kinds of donors in collaboration with country and UK staff. (E.g. high net worth individuals, trusts, foundations etc.).
- Works collaboratively with managers and teams across Syria Relief to ensure effective relationship management with donors.
- Holds Programme Managers to account for ensuring that all of Syria Relief’s programming is fully resourced, that budget and overhead recovery targets are met and that country offices are run sustainably, in accordance with Syria Relief’s procedures and systems and ethics.
- Is responsible for ensuring that all Syria Relief’s work has an impact; which is monitored and communicated.
- Oversees a high-quality, organisation-wide monitoring and evaluation function that enables a culture of learning and growth and ensures key project level lessons inform their technical approach and project design.
- Drives technical expertise and excellence throughout the organisation and supports a culture of learning and growth.
- Ensures quality, regular impact reporting and champions a results culture.
- Ensures that future programming and research is informed by lessons and innovations from their projects and programmes, encouraging continuous improvement.
Communications and Advocacy:
- Supports the Communications and Advocacy staff, subject experts, and wider team members as required.
- Supports Syria Relief’s aim to retain valuable skills and expertise and ensures that staff have adequate opportunities to understand the methodologies used in different activities, both to deepen their knowledge and to strengthen the methodologies.
- Builds a culture of impact and innovation that celebrates of successes and learns from challenges so staff are have pride in Syria Relief’s work and their own role within it.
- Contributes to Syria Relief’s overall development, standing and reputation and ensures that the best interests of SR, its mission and work are given priority in all professional matters.
- Capitalises on opportunities to deepen the technical understanding of SR’s work with all staff and their partner organisations, through the effective and appropriate communication of impact, innovation and approach.
- To promote SR’s vision and mission and to uphold the Charity’s values in all day to day activities and delivery of services.
- To ensure that SR develops a culture that promotes equality and values diversity and that the service you provide meets the needs of all stakeholders. This may involve the development and monitoring of policies and procedures to ensure the services you provide are inclusive to all.
- To participate in SR related events as and when required.
- In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and subsequent legislation, the post holder is required to undertake a proactive role in the management of risks in all their actions. This includes:
- Undertaking risk assessments in line with the SR risk assessment process;
- Reporting all incidents, near misses and hazards in line with the SR’s reporting arrangements/system;
- Undertaking a statutory duty of care for your own personal safety and that of others;
- Attending all statutory and mandatory health and safety training, appropriate to the role.
Person Specification (Essential)
- Bachelors or Diploma in International Development, Disaster Management or related Social Science or equivalent.
- Willingness to undertake training and actively seek out personal development opportunities.
- Programme development including: implementation, with either Education, Public Health/Nutrition, WASH, Protection and livelihood or similar.
- Several years’ experience of engaging with international Non-Governmental Organisations (NGO’s).
- Line-managing staff.
- Managing donor relations.
- Writing fund winning proposals to INGOs and international donors such as USAID, DFID, and ECHO.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good understanding of the Humanitarian crisis affecting Syria and the region.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, inter-cultural sensitivity and confidence in dealing with and negotiating with a wide range of partners.
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to provide regular written and verbal reports to a variety of audiences.
- Fluent in English with excellent spoken and written communication.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise, in interpreting and applying legislation in executing awards and contracts.
- Diplomatic demeanour.
- Ability to manage and prioritise a varied workload and competing deadlines to meet commitments.
- Self-motivated to continuous improvement.
- Able to adapt to differing environments and cultures as required.
- Strong communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments.
- Willingness to perform other duties as required.
- Ability to work variable hours, with occasional weekend and evening work.
- Alacrity to travel national and international, to our Middle East offices and other locations as necessary.
Hours: Full time (40 hours per week less 30 minute lunch break 37.5 hrs)
Location: Middle East with international travel to Europe and visits to UK Head office
* This post is subject to ‘Accuity’ and DBS basic, clearance will be required prior to any offer of employment.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, kindly send through a Microsoft Word version of your CV and a cover letter detailing why you are suited to this role. Please mark it for the attention of Sheerin Dariani, email address: email@example.com. Please subject your email with the following reference: SR-RHOPD. Please note that the interview dates for this role will be confirmed with you should your application be successful.
*Please note that applicants will be considered on a rolling basis so early application is encouraged.